Do you find it difficult to find the perfect balance between work and your personal life? Is it a complete struggle to advance in your career without sacrificing your health or happiness? If yes, check out the list below for the top five things to do to achieve the right amount of work-life balance.
- Learn how to say no. Do not make yourself available 24/7 to your boss or team leader. Take note that you can remain a productive and efficient employee without doing overtime every night. Make sure to complete all tasks or errands within the working hours. When the clock strikes at five, it is a clear indication that the work for the day is over. Hence, when the boss asks you to do something after the 5 PM, learn how to say no politely. There is no need to feel sorry for it or to justify your actions.
- Work smart. Some people believe that the key to success in the workplace is to do more work and to sleep less. This routine may work for some individuals, but in reality, it is a complete misconception. The body needs to get at least seven to eight hours of sleep a day. Lack of sleep can result in loss of cognitive functions. This means that the brain will not properly function if you keep working late at night, without getting enough rest.
- Never bring work assignments at home. As much as possible, try to leave all work-related tasks in the office.Even if you have deadlines, prevent yourself from bringing the documents or records home. It will only stress you out especially during the weekends, wherein quality time must be with the family or your loved ones. Instead, pamper yourself whenever you are at home. Stop thinking about your job to achieve a healthy work-life balance fully.
- Stop reading emails. Right after you logged out of work, make sure to stop yourself from checking your work emails. You deserve a break. Stop being a workaholic and reward yourself with a good night sleep or rest. Do not worry if your email address fills with unread messages. These messages can still be accessed the following day. If you are worried about important emails from the boss, then make sure to adequately inform the former of your “no-emails after work policy.” Your boss will completely understand.
- Stop being a perfectionist. The quality of your work defines who you are. However, this does not mean that everything has to be perfect. As long as you meet deadlines, submit an excellent job and respond promptly to superiors, then you are good to go. There is no need to find perfection in everything you do. The important thing is that you do not submit any mediocre output at work.
Always remember to make yourself a top priority. If you want to become truly happy with what you do, then follow the tips provided above. Follow these things so that you will find the right work-life balance that you deserve.